August 24, 2010

Sister Knows Best


My little sister, the genius she is, told me I should start a blog about my success and failures in the ceramic arts.  So, here I am, doing my very first post.


Image of obsidian glaze inside bowl
Image of clay bowl side profile
This little bowl was my first successful attempt at throwing something on the wheel.  By successful I mean that I was able to center and open it without it collapsing.  I'm very proud of this little bowl, although it turned out more like a saki or espresso cup, standing no more then 5cm tall with a 3cm radius.
Image of the base of a bowl
After I pulled it off the wheel, it went into a wet box for a week then I trimmed a foot into its base. I used a jade blue dipping glaze for the top half, natural gloss for the bottom half, and a puddle of obsidian on the inside center.  The clay was a mix of white clay and terracotta.

3 comments:

  1. Tehehe I love you Rebecca, and I also adore your pot, especially the centre! I hope you'll make things for the family when you have time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Mom says that it looks like there are little flowers in the bottom of the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. more like gross little clumps of algae...but thanks mum :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...